Here are some recommended personal finance websites in Malaysia. This list is no particular order. The best of the best are labeled TOP PICK!
Note: I do not put people/websites that sell their own financial literature programs or books. They can do their own marketing and advertising.
Websites with personal finance articles
- iMoney Learning Centre (TOP PICK!)- Quality, timely, well-researched articles.
- RinggitPlus blog – Absorbed SaveMoney.my apparently. Good topics.
- JewelPie (TOP PICK!) – Malaysian women-centric lifestyle website with personal finance-related articles! RARE okay you guys!
- LoanStreet Learning Centre (TOP PICK) – Better quality articles than other similar websites. Like, really good.
- VulcanPost – Not strictly a PF website, but features new startups you should know (like CARDPOW, below) and offers insider news about consumer demands.
- Compare Hero Money Tips (TOP PICK) – Mostly basic, beginner-y articles, but they get a thumbs up because they have great infographics! Check out the rent-or-own? infographic and ideal budget for millennials in the workforce infographic, to start with.
- Pakdi.Net – Malay centric, Islam-centric personal finance articles. Handy for the riba’ and inheritance guides.
- SoyaCincau – Also not strictly a personal finance website, but great for tech reviews and getting the most out of your money! Check out Best Smartphone under RM1000 article.
- Time Out KL’s Broke in KL Guide – KL-centric and consumerist-culture-centric. Free stuff to do in KL!
Malaysian Personal Finance personalities
- Mr Stingy (TOP PICK) – Features life improvement articles, including how he cleverly manages his finances. Read how he paid off his RM58k in education loan here.
- Gen X Gen Y Gen Z (TOP PICK) – He uses, compares, and ranks credit cards available to Malaysians. His top 10 best credit cards for 2016 came out!
- Champdog – A Malaysian who moved to Australia. He shares his financial journeys there. Not especially relevant to me, but perhaps can help others in the same boat.
- Dividend Magic (TOP PICK) – Personal posts about the stocks he personally owns, the dividends he received, and some helpful explanation of terminologies!
- Ariff Shah – Malay-language blogger. Good information for inspiring first-time homeowners.
- Chok Leong – Talks about his stock picks, shares, dividends, ETF, commodity prices (oil and gas), companies in Malaysia. I liked this article on how he opened a US account to get access to US ETF (exchange-traded funds) as a Malaysian.
- LynnRinggit (TOP PICK) – A personal finance website kinda similar to mine! Interesting ideas on where to open e-fixed deposit, saving money on Starbucks, and things like that. Check it out!
- Malaysia Young Investor – Gen Y (born in 1993) Malaysian. Invests in stocks and seems like a good place to visit if you want to invest in the KLSE stock market.
- Economics Malaysia – Analysis from ‘an applied and practicing economist in the Malaysian financial sector.’ A bit technical but very, very informational.
- Ringgit Matters – Personal finance commentaries. Props on the witty name!
- Kopi and Property – Property junkies go here. I’m too stupid for this page :/
Useful shopping tools
- CardPow (TOP PICK) – Must use for credit card users – find special deals that your card offers, based on location (malls and hotels)!
- Shopback – Before you complete any online shopping, check here if you are eligible for cashback! This website is especially awesome for online-booking accommodation or travel. Consider using my link here, it would give me a bonus when you sign up online, at no cost to you. (Hint: buy your topup here and get cashback. Better with credit card cashback. Read how I do it here)
- Dealshelve (TOP PICK) – Like your groupons? This website lists all available groupon-type deals in Malaysia. Have fun and don’t go overboard!
- Offerstation – Lists well-known companies’ ongoing offers and promotions. I especially like the warehouse and contests listings.
- Mudah (TOP PICK) – Only one of the highest-traffic classifieds website in Malaysia. Don’t buy anything without checking here!
- Currenseek (TOP PICK) – Helps you to compare and find great exchange rates. The disparity feature is cool – it shows how much some exchanges are overcharging you! They also wrote about me here 🙂
- CupoNation – Helps you find coupon codes for online merchants. From my understanding this is a worldwide platform and newly launched in Malaysia.
- GrubCycle (TOP PICK) – Eat more for less AND save the environment. Kind of similar-ish to ApprovedFood (sells clearance food and drinks) which I loved when I studied in UK.
- FreebiesLand – Free samples, deals, BOFO (buy one free one), ongoing promotions, etc.
- Lowyat (TOP PICK) – Discuss and get advice from these fine folks at these specific forums: Finance, Business and Investment House; Credit Cards, Debit Cards and Loyalty Cards; Stock Exchange; Property Talk; Jobs and Careers. Great Services Noticeboard, Business for Sale page, and Garage Sales too.
- Carigold – They call themselves the largest money making portal in Asia, but take it with a pinch of salt – this forum is overrun with a) sensationalist titles and b) dodgy forex & MLM. Amid that, this Malay-centric forum is worth a browse if you need the Malay consumer perspective.