Budget Update: June 2017
Okay, RM8421.75 is a lot to spend in a month. BUT. RM2095 went for Raya (mostly duit raya giveaway – Raya costs covered in this post) and another RM1320.17 went to taxes. So really I ‘only’ spent RM5k ish, and that’s inclusive rent (RM1200), travel plans in July (close to RM1000) and business-related costs (RM1000~). K fine no excuse definitely overspent in June 2017. Will aim to do better for the second half of 2017. Omg so fast.
That brings up an interesting observation. Earning more makes me less calculative with spending. It’s a good problem I guess, but I have to be very, very mindful of this – as a self-employed individual, who knows when my income will suddenly dwindle. It’s to my best advantage to get used to low expenses rather than being rudely forced to make spending cuts.
I’ve also made a few lifestyle upgrades, these past few months. For example, I’ve switched from regular milk to almond milk. This alone is twice the usual cost. It’s a small luxury that I thought I ‘deserve’. I’ve also stopped relying on thrift shopping for clothes and get them brand new. Lifestyle upgrades are hard to notice, because you always try to justify them somehow, and often there are good justification. In the almond milk example, I told myself that it’s healthier (less/no hormones). For the clothes, I tell myself that I save time when buying new from the shops rather than spending hours looking for the right fit/condition/price. For others, I tell myself that choosing the item with the superior quality will last longer, which is technically true.
Note to self: balance is key. Focus on experiences, not stuff. Buy quality, sure, but buy less.
Yay of the month:
- Raya was surprisingly enjoyable this year. Second-hand happiness from my parents – they are extremely happy in becoming grandparents. There are 4 generations in my family now, woah.
- Between March-May 2017, Ringgit Oh Ringgit logged about 95k in traffic. I earned USD146.83 via Google Adsense, which arrived as RM581.70 in my bank account. This is not my first Adsense payout, but it was the fastest so far. Last time it took roughly a year to hit USD100. Am amazed and grateful at how reliable blogging is as passive income. Part of it is because of the niche – finance ads pay higher. Time and time again I’ve invited you guys to also join in the personal finance blogger bandwagon. See got proof now.
- Only gained 3kg despite having a lot of nice food during Ramadan. Happy with my cook-at-home/eat out ratio. One time my sister and I bought a whole side of salmon fillet and pan-fried it (occasion: brother’s birthday). Oh it was so good. Ramadan bazaars this year were amazing.
- Really enjoyed the mango season. I think I ate like 10kg by myself. No regrets.
- Technically happened on 1st July, but had a really good time trying VR gaming at VR Lab, Publika. RM60 per room per hour (depends on room) for up to 6 people. Many locations available, check the VR Lab website for more info. Some of my favourite games include: the skiing game, the walk the plank experience and Fruit Ninja (yes, that Fruit Ninja). Many games available, see the list here.
- #TeamRavenclaw according to the Time’s Sorting House quiz. Have always rooted for them, a soft spot for them. Ravenclaw was not given enough development in the Harry Potter series.
- Interviewed by CompareHero and Small Cap Asia 🙂 Read it here and here! Topics related to bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. Somehow I’m being known for this, but I actually like personal finance in general.
Nay of the month:
- Not as productive as I could have been. Lethargy due to lack of energy due to fasting was no joke. Thankfully most people were understanding, but I have to work harder, moving forward. Have to keep up my professionalism.
- I’ve come to the conclusion that the more you tell people that you’re watching your weight during Raya Open houses, the more they will make it their mission to feed you. Am I wrong here lol.
- Did not manage to even finish reading one book 🙁
- Wasted RM20 on a parking fine ugh
- Brought a new plant into my home. It died within a week. Poor Dave 🙁
Things to Look Forward to:
- Going to the Rainforest World Music Festival at Kuching, Sawarak, woo!
- Want to expand my business and my team. Are you a (non-fiction) writer with samples of work? Comment below, I may have work for you 🙂
- Finishing off all this Raya food and cookies in the house. Just when the supply was dwindling, received a big jar of chocolate chip cookies. I mean, thank you and all, but…
- Continuing workouts that I held off in June. Willing myself to make that painful-but-necessary payment for a personal trainer. Used her tips received from just one session, improved a lot. Should be a worth-it purchase for my health. Need to lose that Raya flab and get the dopamine I need. Most successful people put a priority on fitness, I’m not an exception to this rule.
Second half of 2017, bring it on.