Welcome to another edition of my monthly budget updates, where I break down my expenses by category and share the highlights and lowlights of the month!
So how was your October? Are you spending more?
I am. Can’t even be in denial about it. Just look at the data from my expense-tracking app – it doesn’t lie. I am revenge-spending for SURE.
And now that borders are also open, I’m also planning trips. So far, I have two trips lined up in December – one with family, one romantic getaway. Would have taken one more in October, if not for us being scaredy cats hahahhahah
But yeah. Revenge spending to release ‘pent-up demand’ is real, at least in my case. Now that I’m aware of my own tendencies to spend, I’ll have to be really careful with spending and budgeting, especially considering I have a few big expenses coming up that I need to save up for.
How about you? Have you been revenge-spending as well? What did you get?
Let’s get on to the budget part.
Budget Update: October 2021
In October 2021, I spent RM13,475.62. The top 3 top expenses were:
- Business (RM3,611.79) – Freelance writer, work penalty, book editing fee
- Dates/Travel (RM3,544.49) – Flight tickets x 2, movie tickets
- Donations & Gifts (RM1,992.65) – Sister’s birthday dinner, #WeListenPack, Parents’ electric bill
Cumulatively, the top 3 expenses make up 69% of my total October 2021 expenses.
My Spending Breakdown in October 2021
Here’s what I spent on in the whole month of October 2021, in their respective categories and from highest to lowest amount:
Yay of the Month:
#1 – Financially fruitful and fulfilling month
Grateful to be working in my chosen sector (financial education), with so many amazing clients in the financial space. Alhamdulillah.
#2 – Reached 10k followers on Instagram!
But almost as soon as I got it, new IG link stickers rolled out hahaha hampeh (swipe up feature is only available for 10k followers and above; link sticker is for everyone)
#3 – Learning about IPOs
(IPO = Initial Public Offering. The first time a company offers shares/ownership to the public)
Somewhat interested in the upcoming FarmFresh IPO, so I attended a webinar on IPOs and have since opened a CDS account with CGS CIMB. Let’s see if this will work out!
#4 – Gave 4 talks
- Kaedah menjana Pendapatan Pasif daripada Harta Fizikal dan Harta Intelek with MyAgeing™️ Financial Literacy and Educational Hub (MyFiLE), UPM
- RinggitOhRinggit and Personal Finance with NextUp Asia
- Personal Finance Chit Chat with Hann Liew and Suraya in Financial Education Network’s Financial Literacy Month 2021 Finale
- Seeking More Fulfilment in Retirement with Federation of Investment Managers Malaysia’s first virtual FIMM Annual Convention 2021
#5 – Consulted workshop design and even participated as one of the judges for Financial Innovation Competition Finale!
Was honoured to contribute to Arus Academy’s team in the Fun(d) for Life Financial Innovation Competition. Not only that, also had the extreme honour to be one of the judges for the final round.
Congratulations, team Gold Diggers, Sepintar and Rich Woman. All of you did so well <3
#6 – Received new BigPay card
And I have to say, she pretty!
#7 – Misc
Read 0 books.
- Istanbul Aku Datang on Disney Hotstar
- Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Black Widow on Disney Hotstar
- Pride & Prejudice on Netflix
- Squid Game on Netflix
- What Did You Eat Yesterday on Netflix
Bought for myself:
- 4 jeans from my sister’s shop
- Hair mask
- A maxi dress
- A pair of new slippers
- 2 paint by numbers kit
- A pretty mug
Nay of the Month:
#1 – Extremely high groceries bill
Our groceries bill for October 2021 came up to RM1530! That’s probably the highest it’s been, it’s usually half of that!
But I can understand. I stocked up a lot of groceries for the diet I’m doing now.
#2 – Penalty
Paid RM500 in penalty, but worth it.
Things to Look Forward to:
- Continuing my extremely intense CFP Module 4 classes (I have classes on EVERY weekend)
- Planning our travels at the end of the year
- Receiving keys to our new place
Well, that was my October 2021. How was yours? What’s your yay of the month, nay of the month, and something you’re looking forward to? Tell me in the comments section 🙂