Accelerate your personal finance knowledge with this regular feature on Ringgit Oh Ringgit – the Link Roundup! I promise you’ll find these 10 links informational 🙂
1. A man who interviewed over 1,000 millionaires found they do 6 things to build wealth that anyone can try – Business Insider
Anyone = anyone who is not systematically disadvantaged, but anyways.
So the 6 most common wealth-building habits of 1000 millionaires (of which 80% are self-made) are:
- They budget (‘pay yourself first’ method – read more at Let Me Show You Which Budgeting Style Works for You)
- They spend on good financial planners and accountants
- They own their homes and live in them for a long time
- They invest a higher percentage of their income than the typical person (20% of income, on average)
- They drive cheap cars
- They’re always on the hunt for a deal
Dear Thelma column isn’t new, but this one speaks to a lot of people 🙁 Big companies in tourism, oil and gas already laid off thousands of workers, and according to The Star, 50,000 SMEs in Malaysia folded since MCO started, with 17,800 SMEs folded in August 2020 alone 🙁
If you’re one of the people who’s finding it hard to find jobs. It’s hard, yes, but don’t give up, please don’t give up.
3. This M’sian Beauty Coworking Space Helps Beauticians Start Their Own Biz With Low Capital – VulcanPost
4. Why Women Don’t Negotiate Job Offers – Harvard Business Review
Women, read this article. Includes tips that make negotiations more likely to succeed for you.
5. Ask the Bitches: I Was Guilted Into Caring for a Sick, Abusive Parent for Years. Now What? – Bitches Get Riches
I love this article so much. It’s just refreshing to acknowledge that women, mothers and parents aren’t always saintly figures – bad ones exist. The sooner we accept this, the more we confront the prevalence of abusive mothers and toxic parents. What we’re doing now is ignoring the issue, sweeping each case under the carpet, as if doing so will magically make the problems disappear.
With care work, a lot of it is pushed to women, because we’re supposedly ‘better’ at it (we’re not). But if you were ever stuck in the arrangement, whether by force or by choice, then later when you get back into the workforce, do use this tip:
Put “full time caregiver” on your resume
Gone are the days when being a full-time caregiver is something to hide. There is a growing realization that the skills and fortitude required for this role are transferable and valuable.
6. Dudebro Culture Ruined Personal Finance (and Everything Else) – Money After Graduation
…must-read if you’re into personal finance and enjoy any form of privilege (male, bumi, born into upper M40/T20 family etc).
Purpose > Passion. The whole principle behind ‘Find Your Why’.
In one study of several hundred employees, he notes, “we found that those who believed pursuing passion meant following what brings one joy were less likely to be successful in their pursuit of passion, and were more likely to quit their job nine months down the line.”
I thought about what drove me to write articles in RinggitOhRinggit, once then twice a week, for over 5 years. It’s because I really enjoy (1) the learning process in a topic I genuinely love (personal finance), and (2) being a woman in the personal finance space.
The longer answer: [PERSONAL] What It’s Like to be a Personal Finance Blogger in Malaysia
8. Prestige Malaysia 40 Under 40 2020: Meet the all-female honour roll – PrestigeOnline
I had the toughest time deciding to include this in the link roundup. On one hand, HELL YEAH AMAZING MALAYSIAN WOMEN. On the other, it’s part of a De Beers – that diamond company – campaign :/ You know how I feel about diamonds (overpriced pretty rocks basically).
But I want to be the type of person who has my ladies’ back, so. Also a couple of them are people I know in person.
Money script! A new term for me!
..“money scripts,” also known as “money stories,” (is) a concept that has been tossed around by financial therapists for years and more recently edged into mainstream financial planning.
Loosely defined, money scripts are “what you learned about money from your upbringing, how you responded or rebelled, and what your current money dynamics and patterns are,” says Bari Tessler, a financial therapist and author of The Art of Money.
Have you thought of why your relationship with money is the way that it is? Worth exploring for your own personal growth. Read the article to learn how.
10. To Download: AliPrice Shopping Assistant for Shopee / AliPrice Shopping Assistant for Lazada
View this post on Instagram
SHOPEE TIP: download AliPrice Shopping Assistant for Shopee Chrome extension. You can track prices on Shopee and (more importantly) see which merchant raised price before 11.11, so they can slash and give you the illusion of sales on 11.11, like what Dyson is doing 🤗🤗 #shopeemalaysia #shopee1111bigsale #onlineshoppingmalaysia #shopeemall #1111sale
To read past link roundups, please click here.