Accelerate your personal finance knowledge with this regular feature on Ringgit Oh Ringgit – the Link Roundup! I promise you’ll find these 10 links informational 🙂
I admit: I like to consume productivity-related content, and I follow some of these productivity influencers. They give out a lot of tips that I use today (including things like putting slow-talking Youtuber and podcasters on 1.5x speed – GAMECHANGER). And yes, I do find it satisfying then I manage to pack in a lot of things in a day.
But like everything else, there are consequences for taking things too far or to the extreme. This article serves as a good reminder that something as good as ‘productivity’ can also be an unhealthy obsession, a coping mechanism for people in denial of everything horrible that is happening in the world.
2. 200 Lemons, 30 Bananas: Online Shoppers Accidentally Buy Too Much – The Wall Street Journal
Buying groceries IRL – more temptation to add things you don’t need in your cart. Buying groceries online – accidentally buy too much.
Has it happened to you? What did you do with the food?
(My most recent happy accident:)
3. 12 Terms Every Crypto Trader Should Know – Binance Academy
Click the link above for the full explanation for each term, but wow haha I finally found out what SAFU means, awesome!
- Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD): Spreading of fear and misinformation to gain an advantage.
- Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO): The emotion you feel when you panic buy.
- HODL: Buy and hold on to it for a long time!
- BUIDL: Keep your head down and build the next financial system.
- SAFU: Funds are safe!
- Return on Investment (ROI): How much money you are making (or losing).
- All-Time High (ATH): The highest price ever recorded!
- All-Time Low (ATL): The lowest price ever recorded.
- Do Your Own Research (DYOR): Don’t trust, verify.
- Due Diligence (DD): Smart people make decisions based on facts.
- Anti Money Laundering (AML): Regulations that prevent criminals from hiding their money.
- Know Your Customer (KYC): Regulations that make exchanges verify your identity.
Business owners and decision-makers, hear me out. What if… you pay workers at the beginning of the work, instead of the end? According to this study, they are more productive.
The authors conclude that giving workers cash upfront helped alleviate the mental burden of their financial problems and freed them to be more productive..the study adds to a growing body of research that says that money really does help workers earn more money.
Seriously, kudos to the Cilisos team for compiling many 1MDB-related updates – not an easy task. I didn’t know Trump pardoned Elliot Broidy, his former fundraiser who tried to stop the US from investigating 1MDB!!
6. How to Sleep-Train a Baby When You’re a Working Mom – Working Mother
Resources like these make me dread motherhood less. Sleep-trained babies = quality sleep = better work.
Yeah, I guess I am contemplating kids, against my better judgement. Love is so strange – it makes you do objectively stupid things like getting married and considering motherhood. You’re aware of how lopsided the benefits are to your life and career, yet..
Fortunately there are risk reduction strategies and also growing support. Good, I’ll need those. Not working is not an option.
A good page to bookmark!!
8. Kicking off my Monthly Money Diaries: 2020 financial year in review – ElizabethTai.com
Malaysians will have another monthly money diary / budget update / month-in-review-styles articles to enjoy 🙂 In addition to I’m Funemployed’s, The Purple Cotton‘s and my monthly budget updates here in RoR, Liz Tai will start sharing hers as well, woo hoo!
Check out the first post in the link above!
9. “Bling Empire” Is My New Fave Show, So I Did Some Internet Sleuthing To Find Out Their Net Worth – BuzzFeed
The Bling Empire show made me empathise with obscenely rich people. Am not sure how I feel about that, but I sure am entertained lol. I hope they will do Season 2!
I am #TeamAnna btw. The way she, with her $600 mil net worth, called out those with ‘only’ $80 mil net worth for showing off was intensely satisfying.
10. Here’s How Wall Street Has Always Manipulated the Markets | The Daily Social Distancing Show
Change my mind: Wall Street is made up of Narcissists, Psychopaths and Machiavellians – people with dark personalities who wouldn’t think twice before cheating, manipulating and generally taking advantage of people around them.
To read past link roundups, please click here.