In the spirit of sharing, and just to show you that I make as many stupid purchases as I made good ones, here’s my list of best and worst spending in 2016.
Related: My best and worst spending in 2015
Best Spending in 2016
- Trip to Krabi. RM900. I wrote about my Krabi trip here.
- Trip to Japan. RM2500. I wrote about my Japan trip here.
- Kerastase shampoo. RM90 from a kind lady in Carousell. Original price is RM100+ I think, not sure. This shampoo makes my hair look fabulous y’all.
- Fleece blanket. RM49 from Tesco. Oh my fleece blankets – good quality ones – is so soft and so perfect to sleep in. I’m one of those people who can’t sleep without a blanket and made do with spare bedsheets instead of actual blankets for the past 5 or so years. Super worth it.
- 8 x container baskets. RM5 each from MR DIY. Beige colour, rattan design. Organised the shit out of my shit. Now I have containers for beauty products, medicine, DIY stuff, accessories, electronics, and other miscellaneous items.
- Hand truck. RM60 from Giant, on sale. Super handy during the moving process. I don’t think I’ll need it anytime soon, so I may sell it – which is good because apparently the going rate for new ones range between RM80-RM150. I may get all my money back!
- Malaysian Writers’ Society membership. RM70. Now I can say I am ‘a registered member of the Malaysian Writers’ Society’. Cewaaahhh.
- Uniqlo jeans. RM149 for the first pair, then bought 3 more for RM99 each during MyCybersale. I’ve yet to wear 2 pairs – they will be worn in stages for the next few years.
- Website banner. RM87.80 (or USD20) from Fiverr.com. I love it. In case you didn’t know, the flower is Alstroemeria flower, also known as the Peruvian lily. It was picked because I love the meaning behind the flower.
- Xiaomi powerbank. RM107.10 from Lazada. Lifesaver in many, many occasions, both for myself and my friends.
- Umbrella. RM19.50 from MR DIY. Does the job. Did not get drenched in the rain even once in 2016.
- 2 x glasses. From Selectspecs; both for RM118.88. Select a cheap frame ($10ish), enter your eye power (? not sure of correct terminology here), choose extras (optional) and get it delivered (free!) within a few weeks. I’m comfortable with recommending them; have bought about 6 glasses in roughly 6 years. Not be best quality, but suitable for a rough user like myself.
- Lenovo K4 Vibe. RM830 from Lazada. Picked based on the recommendation of Soya Cincau’s Best Smartphone Under RM1000 article. It’s only my second smartphone ever.
- A book on sambal recipes. RM5 from MPH. Made three types of sambals in the first week. I like my sambal, this was money well spent.
- Hyaluronic acid. RM44.50 from Guardian. Face tonic from the Hada Labo brand. Significantly improved my skin.
Worst Spending in 2016
- Cheap pan and pot. I got them for RM12 and RM10 each, which are ridiculously cheap. Unfortunately, they were also ridiculously horrible to use. When I tried to make a simple omelette with the pan, the freaking non-stick coating wore off. I know this because the omelette tasted funky, chemical-ly. I wasted 3 eggs here. The pot, on the other hand, fails to cook anything without burning it. I wasted another 3 eggs here.
- Scammed out of RM1400. Not proud to admit it, but this happened and I’ll take partial blame for it. I was searching for furniture and tempted by low prices by this one Carousell seller. I was supposed to receive a dining table, bed frame, sofa and custom wardrobe in the first week of December. As of a mid-December, he cut off all communication with me. I’m thinking of making a police report.
- Paid to get off blacklisted telco list. Sometime ago, I used my name to help out a family member to get internet dongle or something. Little did I know that this person did not care to pay the monthly fee. It was deactivated shortly after, but not until RM280.80 damage was done. So I got blacklisted, and had to pay this fee before getting postpaid line.
- Gym mat. Crap one that costs RM34.15 from Guardian. Damaged easily from normal use. Would not recommend.
- Overdue ASB loan. Aka what the what?? I took RM50k ASB loan from Maybank, and have been paying RM289 monthly for it. Then somehow it was increased to RM308 about a year ago and I did not know about it?? I underpaid for months, and owed them about RM310. It’s annoying because I consented to have the loan auto-deducted directly from my bank account. It shouldn’t have happened, but it did.
- Fined. RM302.12. I can’t even remember what for. Wasted money, in my opinion.
- Unnecessary ATM fees. RM6.30 because in multiple occasions I failed to plan ahead and had to withdraw money outside of my bank’s ATM.
- Shitload of tobacco and Coke Zero. I don’t even want to calculate this. Dammit Suraya.
- Becca Under Eye Corrector. RM90 from Carousell. Bought because some beauty Youtubers recommended it. Did not work with my skintone. Made my eyebags look worse.
- Black skirt. RM59 from Jusco. When I bought this, I already own 5 black skirt (leftover from office days). When I moved, I donated 3 of them, including this one.
- Printed skirt. RM20 from Cotton On Sale. Pretty but badly stitched. Ripped the side within a month. I’m probably not going to buy anything from Cotton On again.
- Foam Roller. RM44.72 from Lazada. Read that it can help massage my back. But personally it’s unpleasant to use and now stay boxed. I might donate it soon.
- Stevia leaves. RM20 from pasar malam. I badly want to love stevia, but I don’t. I bought a packet containing about 20 small pouches and maybe used two.
- Hair dye. RM19.35 from a pharmacy. Bought and applied sometime in March 2016. I don’t know what I was thinking – I love my original hair colour and this product worsen my hair fall problem. It’s back to natural now, and so much healthier too.
- Junk food. According to my spending tracker, I wasted RM645.70 in junk food and drinks in 2016, or roughly RM1.77 per day. I don’t regret many of them, but I wish I didn’t cave in more than I should. I’m supposed to be dieting :/