If there’s one thing I learned during this whole blog-writing journey, is that Malaysians are HUNGRY for fun personal finance content. Wow, you really like to hear stories, not advice! There are too many advice – no wonder people keep calling it a ‘dry’ and ‘boring’ topic.
So let’s change that. Let’s make personal finance fun to read and consume. GIVE ME YOUR SHORT STORIES SO I CAN COMPILE THEM INTO AN EBOOK. I’m offering cash out of my own pocket to all accepted submissions! See the details below:
Personal Finance Writing Competition: The Details
- Length: 1500 up to 5000 words
- Theme: Personal finance
- Type: Fiction and non-fiction short stories
- Language: UK English or Bahasa
- Format: Submit as GDoc link
- Submission date: by 15 August 2018. Send it earlier if you want feedback and stuff
- Submit to: submissions.ror at gmail dot com
- Prize: RM100 flat OR a % of book sales within 1 (one) year. I’ll promo the heck out of you too.
- No of winners: Unlimited (aiming for 50k words total)
Examples of stories you can write about:
- How you make a living: insider tips to start or make it in your trade or industry
- Expenses that come with your specific life situation: mental health, physical disability, etc
- How you choose and live your alternate lifestyle, and its costs: permaculture, zero waste, minimalism, capsule wardrobe, digital nomad, full-time travelling, eco-living, etc.
- Stories about financial decisions that succeeded or failed
- A finance-related experience that happened to you, which rarely, if ever, happens to anyone else
- An alternate universe using an alternate financial system (like that movie In Time, where the currency is time itself. Run out of time, and the characters die). Romance, fantasy and sci-fi stories are definitely encouraged!
- And more! Have an idea you’re not sure will work? Email me first at submissions.ror at gmail dot com, no problem. You can also ask any questions in the comments section.
Terms and Conditions:
- All submissions must be original and unpublished work.
- Hate speech and discriminatory angles = automatic rejection.
- You can submit more than one work 🙂
- Winners will be paid a flat rate of RM100 OR a % of book sales within one year. Pick whichever, but pick only ONE. If you need money now, pick the flat rate. If you don’t mind waiting for a year and can help me market the book for higher sales, pick the %.
- Authors will sign a contract giving myself all rights to the work. This includes, but not limited to, the editing process and how I decide to sell and distribute the compilation. You will be recognised as the author of your work.
- If your work is not accepted this time around, you maintain all rights to it and free to do what you want with it.
- All results are final.
- I reserve all rights to amend this T&C at a later date.
E-book editors, please email me with samples of your work to submissions.ror at gmail dot com.
- How to Write a Short Story from Start to Finish
- Learn How to Write a Great Short Story
- How to Write a Short Story that Captivates Your Reader
Writers reading this, looking forward to your submissions! Please help me share this writing competition to your friends too! Happy writing everyone!
ProTip: Sign up for RoR newsletter to get discounts for the ebook when it finally comes out 😉 My calculations say I need to sell at least a few hundred copies just to break even. Help a girl recoup her initial investment.